Monday, May 25, 2015

Sari I'm Not Sorry

I first wore a sari three years ago for my cousin's wedding in Bombay, India. It was a long time coming, and I still don't even know how to put one on myself. I can manage the blouse (evidenced by my Halloween costume this year), but no exaggeration, this sari took my mom a half an hour to wrap on me! Wearing a sari is still not a common event, but every now and then it's nice to be a little festive and have the excuse to pull one out of my closet for the right occasion. Full disclosure, this is usually followed with about a year hiatus when I quickly realize five minutes into the evening jeans are the much easier alternative. But as the year progresses and the memory of stumbling over my own two feet while swathed in six yards of cloth fades away, my saris start calling out my name.

I wore this coral sari to a family friend's 40th wedding anniversary party this past weekend. The party was a surprise thrown by their two kids, and held at a local Indian restaurant. I had a lot of fun catching up with my family friends, eating a ton of Indian food, and getting mendhi done on my hand. Plus, beforehand I met up with Ashley, a law school friend (first introduced here). Since she works in the same town that the restaurant is located, we caught up for a bit before the party... and took some pictures in a park.

I hope you all are enjoying the long weekend. As I got in touch with my Indian heritage this weekend, it's only fitting that I will honor the red, white, and blue today by remembering the men and women who protect our country. Happy Memorial Day.




Sari, bangles, and shoes from India

No comments:

Post a Comment

Friday Five

A sweet bar gift from Caroline From 50 and pouring last weekend at my brothers graduation (hello Nor'easter in May) to 90 and scor...