Monday, July 4, 2016

Red, White and Mule

My favorite part about entertaining or cooking is the opportunity to be creative. Give me the chance to hop on a trend bandwagon and that's just an added bonus.

We have today off for the 4th of July and are commandeering the pool at the apartment building I lived at last year. I'm excited to grill burgers (ok, eat the burgers after the boys grill them), put my pretzel pool floatie to use, and maybe catch some fireworks.

Cocktail popsicles have been all the rage lately, and I obviously had to try them out. I used this popsicle maker and have no complaints (plus it looks pretty in pictures). I didn't go for a typical red, white and blue color scheme for the pops - although some type of tri-layered popsicle would be great for today. What can I say, once I saw "moscow mule popsicle," I was sold. These aren't going to really have that much of an effect by digesting them, but at least they're tasty! We had them on their own but a fun twist would be to serve them in an actual drink.

And pro tip: these melt in a cooler. Keep them in a freezer if you don't anticipate having them right away!


Moscow mule popsicles
Ingredients
  • 2 limes, juiced
  • Ginger beer, 2.25 cups
  • Vodka, 2 ounces
Directions
  1. Mix lime juice, ginger beer and vodka in a large measuring cup & stir well
  2. Drop a few berries into each ice pop mold. (I used a frozen mix of strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries - mostly for color.)
  3. Fill each ice pop mold with the liquid mixture
  4. Place molds in the freezer for about an hour without the lid on
  5. Put the ice pop sticks in the mold - that way they won't slip right out when you're ready to eat them! I also recommend not using the lid at the point as long as you're ok with the sticks not being perfectly symmetrical. This way you don't have to worry about taking the lid off later when the sticks are frozen into the mixture and are potentially slanted out of the lid at different angles.
  6.  Freeze for 12 hours before serving.


Recipe source: shutter bean

No comments:

Post a Comment

Friday Five

A sweet bar gift from Caroline From 50 and pouring last weekend at my brothers graduation (hello Nor'easter in May) to 90 and scor...