Monday, July 11, 2016

Crockpot Meals: Edition 4

I'm back with the crockpot! I seriously love this thing. And thai food. And risotto.

I made more risotto, this time thai-style. I used the same 1:4 ratio from the last time I made risotto, which turned out to be the perfect combination. Seriously, this means endless opportunities for risotto! I just set the timer to 3 hours on high and an additional 45 minutes on low. Again, I turned the crockpot off when there was still a little liquid. It will seem like about 15 minutes more is needed, but really the rice will solidify and come together on it's own while off. If on, the risotto will just turn mushy. And again, if you store the cooked risotto in the freezer, it tastes fine/retains the flavor upon thawing, but not the shape/texture. It gets a little mushy, so I'd recommend eating this all on the first go.


Red curry thai risotto
Ingredients
  • Sesame oil, 2 tablespoons
  • Chicken, 3/4 pounds (I used boneless, skinless breasts)
  • Onion, finely chopped
  • Garlic cloves, 3 minced
  • Ginger, 2 teaspoons
  • Spice mix (garlic powder, onion powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, coriander seed, red cayenne powder, smoked paprika), 2 tablespoons
  • Arborio rice, 3/4 cup
  • Red curry paste, 3 tablespoons
  • Chicken broth, 2.5 cups
  • Coconut milk, 12 ounces
  • Lime juice, 1 tablespoon
  • Brown sugar, 1 tablespoon
  • Soy sauce, 1 tablespoon
  • Bok choy, 4 small ones, cut into .5 inch strips
  • Cherry tomatoes, 1 cup, halved
  • Frozen vegetable mix (broccoli, carrots, bell peppers, green beans, snow peas, mushrooms, onions, water chestnuts), 2 cups
Directions
  1. Butterfly and sear chicken in sesame oil and the spice mix. Set aside.
  2. Pour a little sesame oil on the bottom of the crockpot and stir in the arborio rice, coating evenly
  3. Place all vegetables (frozen veggies, bok choy and cherry tomatoes) in the crockpot
  4. Mix all remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Then pour into the crockpot.
  5. Cook on high for 3 hours and then on low for 45 minutes.


Recipe source: slightly modified from love and olive oil

Not in the mood for Thai? How about some Indian? I've tried my hand at Indian cooking quite a few times before, and while I don't usually eat butter chicken, I loved this recipe.

I served this with the fried rice I've made before and even made my own garam masala - but you really don't need to do that. I just had all the spices on hand. And a note on the cloves and cumin seeds - be careful with these two ingredients because a little goes a long way! These spices can be a little overpowering if you use a heavy hand so I definitely recommend with sticking to just a small amount listed in the recipe.


Butter chicken
Ingredients
  • Chicken, 1 pound (I used boneless, skinless breast)
  • Onion, 1/2, finely chopped
  • Butter, 2 tablespoons
  • Garlic cloves, 3, minced
  • Ginger powder, 1 tablespoon
  • Curry powder, 2 teasponns
  • Thai red curry paste, 2 teaspoons
  • Garam masala, 2 tablespoons (I used this recipe with added cumin seeds and cloves)
  • Turmeric, 1 teaspoon
  • Cayenne pepper, 1 teaspoon
  • Salt, 1/4 teaspoon
  • Tomato paste, 6 ounces
  • Coconut milk, 14 ounces
  • Greek yogurt, 1/2 cup
  • Half and half, 1/4 cup
Directions 
  1. Sear the chicken and cook the onions with the spice mix over the stove
  2. Mix all other ingredients with remaining spices (besides the butter)
  3. Spray the inside of the crockpot
  4. Sprinkle the onions over the bottom. Add the chicken and then pour the coconut milk mixture over the chicken. Add the butter. Place the lid on.
  5. Cook on high for 4 hours
  6. Mix in a bunch of fresh coriander in the last half hour of cook time and garnish with more
  7. Serve with Indian fried rice (made with a pea, carrot, corn, and green bean mix) and steamed broccoli (with garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper)



Recipe source: slightly modified from half baked harvest

No comments:

Post a Comment

Friday Five

A sweet bar gift from Caroline From 50 and pouring last weekend at my brothers graduation (hello Nor'easter in May) to 90 and scor...