Monday, November 3, 2014

Dreaming by Moonlight

This is what I almost named this blog. I liked it, and it works well for who I am. But not for the content for which I intended this blog.

It's funny to think that no matter how much older we get, and the more we go through, we stay so much the same. Looking back on the years, it’s easy to see that time passes us by so quickly. What we do now has explicit and tangible effects on our futures, our careers, and the rest of our lives. But still, who I am now is a clear reflection of who I was yesterday, the day before, the year before, and even the years before that.

When I was 17 years old and a senior in high school, we were asked to contribute a short reflection that would be inserted under our senior portraits in the school yearbook. That was six years ago. Looking back on the two quotes I chose to reflect who I was and what I wished to transpire for the future, it is simultaneously eerily unsettling and strangely calming that the quotes I chose are ones that still speak to me. I hadn't looked at my yearbook in years. I had little to no memory of what sayings I had chosen. But when I turned the page in my yearbook and looked down at what I saw, I couldn't help but smile. The words I chose are still pure reflections of who I am today and who I want to be tomorrow.
Gilbert: Yes, I am a dreamer. For a dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world.
Ernest: His punishment?
Gilbert: And his reward.
  ― Oscar Wilde, The Critic as Artist
Non est ad astra mollis e terris via.
  ― Latin for: There is no easy way from the earth to the stars.
I am a dreamer. I am a hard worker. I am a realist. When I graduated from high school in my little town in the middle of nowhere, I knew I wanted something more. I wanted to move on to bigger things, but still be able to look back to this place of comfort and hold that feeling warmly. I knew I wanted to succeed, and that my dreams were achievable. I knew this would not be easy, but I would be willing to work for this.

 The pond in my backyard: my "thinking space"

2 comments:

  1. This looks amazing and so relaxing!

    xx
    Lauren Elizabeth
    Petite in Pearls

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love sitting by the pond with a book when the weather is nice. Definitely lucky to have it right in the backyard when I am at my parent's house!

      Delete

Friday Five

A sweet bar gift from Caroline From 50 and pouring last weekend at my brothers graduation (hello Nor'easter in May) to 90 and scor...