Monday, February 29, 2016

It's a Small World 2

My second annual it's a small world potluck!

I took this an opportunity to make more Indian recipes from my mom's cookbook, and I made lemon rice, chickpeas, and beef. The rice and chickpeas were super easy. The beef took a little more time to trim and cut. I didn't have a pressure cooker either, so I cooked them the whole time on the stove. I'd definitely recommend the pressure cooker route if you have one - the end product will be a lot more tender whereas the texture of mine tasted a little more like steak.

I had so much fun eating foods from all over with my friends, and hopefully I can keep this tradition going next year after I graduate. If you like Indian, definitely give these recipes a go!

Lemon rice
Ingredients:
1 cup rice
1 lemon, juiced
2 tablespoons oil
1/8 teaspoon mustard seeds
2-3 red chilis (may be substituted with crushed red pepper flakes or jalapenos)
1/8 teaspoon turmeric owder
Salt, to taste
2 tablespoons peanuts, roasted

Directions
  1. Cook 1 cup rice and keep aside 
  2. Heat oil, add mustard seeds, chilli pepper broken into small pieces, turmeric powder and salt, and the peanuts 
  3. Reduce heat and stir and remove from stove 
  4. Add lemon juice and stir well and add cooked rice a little at a time, mixing well 
  5. Taste to see if needs more lemon juice and add if needed  
 
 Indian beef
Ingredients

2 pounds beef (chuck steak or sirloin steak)
1 tablespoon oil
2 small onions
8 cloves garlic
1.5 inch piece ginger
1/8 teaspoon turmeric powder
3 teaspoons coriander powder
2 teaspoons chili powder
¼ teaspoon salt, or to taste
¼ teaspoon garam masala
1 teaspoon black pepper powder
 
Directions

  1. Trim fat off of beef and cut beef into cubes
  2. Keep 1 onion and black pepper powder aside
  3. Mix all other ingredients with beef
  4. Pressure cook for 5 minutes
  5. Heat oil on stovetop and cook 1 onion
  6. When onion is translucent, add cooked beef
  7. Stir until juices have evaporated
  8. Add black pepper 
Chana masala (Indian chick peas)
Ingredients
1 can chickpeas (15.5 ounces)
1 small onion
1 tomato
1 teaspoon chana masala (I got mine from an Indian grocery store)
2 tablespoon oil

Directions
  1. Heat oil and sauté onions
  2. Add chopped tomatoes and chana masala
  3. Stir
  4. Add strained chickpeas
  5. Cook for a few minutes  

 
Recipe source: my mom

No comments:

Post a Comment

Friday Five

A sweet bar gift from Caroline From 50 and pouring last weekend at my brothers graduation (hello Nor'easter in May) to 90 and scor...