Monday, August 10, 2015

Munich: Germany's Secret Capital

Nymphenburg Castle: summer residence of
King Maximilian
I wasn't sure if my second trip to Munich would surpass my first time, years ago when I studied abroad and went to Oktoberfest. This trip was definitely less concentrated on the beer steins and more focused on catching the big sights. However, I really enjoyed the time I spent out of a large tent and rather in the city.

I saw the BMW showroom and museum, the English Gardens, and the city center. I ate duck with dumplings at a local biergarten and sausage with cabbage in a palace. I visited the local quaint town of Oberammergau (souvenir shops with cuckoo clocks in abundance). I learned the history of the Bavarian royalty while touring their different castles as well as more about World War II while climbing Eagle's Nest.

My time in and out of Munich was short, but enjoyable nevertheless. I can never get over the beautiful architecture adorning the streets of Europe, and Munich was no exception. I may not be the biggest fan of pork and sauerkraut, but every morning I looked forward to eating weisswurst (white sausage). Until next time, Germany!

City hall at Munich's center, Marienplatz

Fountains galore at Linderhof Palace, the home of King Ludwig II

Neuschwanstein Palace, King Ludwig II's gift to Richard Wagner

Scenic view atop Eagles Nest in Berchtesgaden

No comments:

Post a Comment

Friday Five

A sweet bar gift from Caroline From 50 and pouring last weekend at my brothers graduation (hello Nor'easter in May) to 90 and scor...